Saturday 31 January 2009

What I've done this week

I've ordered the book from the US, but it seems like it won't arrive until some time in March – I suppose I'll just have to use the stuff that's online for the rest of the 310 drawings and do 310 more when the book arrives. Maybe I'll draw some lions or dogs or something inbetween, god knows I'm not very good at drawing animals. Then again, I have been slacking this week, I'm at about 140 drawings now, I've been bad at keeping track of where I should be, but I know I haven't done ten a day :l

Speaking of animals, here are some:





Now for some facial expressions with Jerry:





I went through most of the expressions on that page, there were more than twenty of them, but they were all very basic. Facial expressions are certainly something I should work a lot on, and not just by doing faces in the mirror.

More T&J, this time to learn the concept of the line of action:





It's an amazing thing – I've been struggling with making my drawings lively, I never thought that construction could be the thing to do it. The line of action is a brilliant tool for just that. 

It's a hard thing to define – it often follows along the spine, but not always – it often goes from the head to the foot, but not always. I've only used it for copying so far, but I think the best way to use it is to a: draw it, b: measure up and mark off the proportions, c: use the proportion marks to  sketch in shapes to show the dimensions of whatever's on each end, d: draw the skellington, e: pears, blobs and spheres, f: ??? and finally g: profit!

Some "types" – the brute and the goof:




Like with the hands, I did get in a rut at a point, I used that to go revisit the basics:





And finally, some drawings of stuff that's outside the book:




So, that's what I've been drawing for the last week – or the best 25% or so, at least :)

No comments:

Post a Comment